Earl Young, in conjunction with a handful of local businesses, built the then 37-room Weathervane Lodge Motel at the corner of Michigan and Dixon Avenues beginning in 1958.
It opened for business in August 1959. At the time, it was considered to be one of the finest motor lodges in Michigan. Over time, its capacity was increased to 40 rooms and Charlevoix’s first indoor swimming pool replaced the observation deck in the southeast corner.
Earl left the Weathervane Lodge when he built the Weathervane Terrace across the highway, taking the name with him. The motel’s name reverted to simply The Lodge.
More information on Earl’s influence in Charlevoix can be found at the Charlevoix Historical Society.